Who you are
You are a hardworking and creative person who loves plants, design and the satisfaction of a productive day. You have retail management experience and a deep passion for indoor plants. You are eager to share your plant knowledge with others and inspired to keep learning. Merchandising and shop design excites you - you look at a room through the customers’ eyes and identify how to showcase products to sell and inspire. You are a people person and truly care about the customer’s satisfaction while offering an exceptional service. You are comfortable in a leadership position and understand how to inspire your team to work together and surpass expectations.
Efficacy and a strong work ethic is crucial in this role. You must value hard work while exhibiting strong entrepreneurial skills which help you think fast and manage strategically. We receive large shipments of product and material and it is imperative you are able to lead and strategize with your team, identifying the priority of tasks and maintaining a swift pace to completion. The work we do demands high energy and a positive attitude. If you like to feel physically and mentally accomplished at the end of your day, Tula is a great brand to work with. For support, we have an incredible team of Shopkeepers, and you will also be supported by an Assistant Shop Manager and the Tula Founders.
Tula was founded on three principles; creativity, education and experience. We love to learn, grow and inspire and we are proud to support a team of hardworking, creative and motivated individuals who want to grow with us. Tula launched in 2016 with a 100 sq ft plant truck and we now operate out of a 1200 sq ft storefront with a dedicated arid room backed by a robust e-commerce shop. Every person who walks through Tula’s doors is treated with the utmost respect - our house is your house. Horticulture has always been about community and we intend to keep it that way while pushing the status quo in creativity, customer service and product quality. We are a family owned and operated business with an enormous heart and big ideas and believe communication, feedback loops and persistent problem solving are the ingredients to enormous success.
As Shop Manager, you are first and foremost a strong brand ambassador for Tula. You are confident in relaying Tula’s ethos and mission and understand the importance of communicating this message to the team you manage, and the customers you serve.
Much of your time as Shop Manager is spent on the shop floor delegating your team and to ensure; top notch plant care, smooth and efficient receival of deliveries, creative and smart merchandising, excellent customer service, troubleshooting, and employee management. Exhibiting excitement, paired with a strong knowledge of plants and the ability to listen and problem solve is crucial.
Your role as Shop Manager also extends to translating strategic goals and the company vision to targeted sales and marketing strategies. Working directly with the Tula founders, you will collaborate on marketing and merchandising tactics and offer new ideas on how to exceed sales goals and visually merchandise products.
Team building is an important aspect of this role and will extend to the role of staff training, interviewing, hiring and store scheduling. You should have an excellent ability to identify personality traits in your team in order to schedule and delegate effectively.
Employee Management & Customer Service
- Work with customers on the shop floor, selling plants, repotting, troubleshooting plant care questions and exhibiting exceptional customer service. Lead by example for shopkeepers to follow.
- Assist with new hire recruiting, hiring and training, and issue informal quarterly touch base reviews with all shopkeepers.
- Ensure shopkeeper productivity and task completion.
- Develop and manage shopkeeper schedules.
- Ensure employees follow company guidelines and expectations. Provide feedback and retrain when necessary.
Shop Floor and Receiving
- Identify and delegate daily tasks for shopkeepers to complete in a time effective and strategic fashion.
- Oversee all visual merchandising; exhibit a keen eye for detail, quality control and re-merchandising.
- Switching out window displays on a weekly basis, identifying poor sell-through products and repositioning to sell faster. Must apply creative thinking to ebbs and flows of product availability and customer demand.
- Oversight and assistance of product deliveries, receiving, pricing, and merchandising.
- Work directly with Buyer to ensure shop inventories are up to date and accurate.
- Relay new product arrivals, stories, fun facts, etc to shopkeepers - provide them the ‘toolkit’ to educate and sell.
- Ensure cleanliness of shop floor and storage areas.
- Recognize shop issues and how to properly resolve them i.e. heating, water, trash pick-up, etc.
Deliveries & E-commerce
- Schedule local customer deliveries with Tula’s 3rd party vendor
- Train and oversee staff to pack and ship e-commerce deliveries
- Manage all emails for e-commerce customer service inquiries
Administration & Events
- Produce weekly and monthly reports and metrics, supported by observations and recommendations to present to Tula co-founders.
- Order shop supplies (shopping bags, sticker labels, soap, paper towels, etc.)
- Assist answering emails sent to Tula’s general inbox.
- Oversee all Cash deposits and reconciliation
- Expand Tula’s customer loyalty program.
- Assist in workshop/event programming and manage staff schedules to properly execute.
- Available to work/assist workshops and/or events after shop hours.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management or Marketing.
- 3-5 years of retail and management experience covering team development, driving sales goals, visual merchandising and implementing marketing strategies.
- 2-3 years in horticulture, hospitality or retail experience
- Keen eye for detail and design - exhibit strong merchandising skills.
- Proven ability to generate data driven results.
- Analytical with a strong ability in reporting and data-driven decision making.
- Self-starter, exhibiting an exceptional work ethic while taking initiative.
- Curious and excited about unique plants, facts and origins.
- Enthusiastic about working within a small business and building as a team.
- Act with a sense of urgency.
- Comfortable and enthusiastic about physical labor.
- Ability to stand on your feet for 8 hours and lift at least 30 lbs. without assistance.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote.
- Valid and clean driver's license.
Tuesday - Saturday
9:30am - 6:30pm
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Company contribution to medical, dental and vision.
- Access to 401K.
- Unlimited discretionary time off.
- US paid holidays are recognized and Tula is closed during Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year Day.
- Career growth opportunities.
- Work with founders who are always open to communicate and approach daily tasks and challenges with an open mind.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject Shop Manager. Applications without cover letters will not be accepted.