Botanical Name — Hoya pachyclada
Common Name — Wax Plant
Plant Family — Asclepiadaceae
Hoya pachyclada is a vining epiphyte native to Thailand. Beloved by collectors for its ovoid leaves that come to a soft point, this slow-grower will produce doming clusters of white, star-shaped flowers that look like a bridal veil.
- Hoya pachyclada prefers a few hours of direct sun or dappled sun when kept indoors. Though it will survive in bright indirect light only, giving it a few hours of sun will boost growth and encourage flowering. Indoors, a sunny window with eastern western exposure is a great spot.
- Avoid intense afternoon sun. This can burn the leaves.
- Hoya pachyclada can tolerate high temperatures in the 70s and 80s or higher. They are not cold hardy, however. Avoid temperatures below 50 ºF.
- Hoya plants thrive in high humidity, though they are tolerant of more moderate, indoor humidity levels. Extremely arid climates may cause dryness at the tips of leaves.
- Though Hoya plants can withstand some drought, during the growing season they prefer a consistent watering schedule. Water regularly during the growth period. Allow the soil to dry out at least halfway before watering thoroughly.
- Hoya pachyclada prefer a well-draining, yet moisture-retentive soil. Regular potting soil works just fine. Amend soil with coco coir and compost to improve moisture retention and supplement soil nutrients.
- These plants are epiphytes, meaning they grow attached to trees. Their growing substrate in their natural environment is mainly composed of materials such as decomposing bark, leaves, and flowers.
- Hoya pachyclada produce small, sweet-smelling flowers in clusters of 10 to 30. Flowers are star-shaped, and typically black and violet-red. Flowers are covered in tiny hairs giving them a fuzzy appearance up close.
- Flowers appear from late spring to summer. Give Hoya plants optimal conditions to improve their chances of flowering.
- You can fertilize your Hoya pachyclada with a water-soluble balanced fertilizer once every two weeks, only during the active growing season.
- Hoya pachyclada can be easily propagated from stem cuttings, rooted in soil or water. Cuttings taken from more recent growth will have the best chances of success.
- Hoya plants are pretty hardy plants, though they can fall susceptible to some fungal infections if they are not receiving proper care. Botrytis blight appears as large, gray-colored spotting at the center or margins of infected plants. Wilting and black or brown stem lesions are another symptom to look out for. Copper or sulfur fungicides can be helpful in treating.
- Aphids, mealy bugs and other sap-sucking pests can also be of concern and can vector other fungal or bacterial diseases. Treat this plant with diluted neem oil or insecticidal soap at the first sign of an infestation.
- Root rot is another concern and is triggered by overwatering. With this plant it is always best to err on the side of underwatering.
Maintenance (pruning, legginess, repotting)
- Hoya plants require little maintenance. Prune away unhealthy looking parts of the plant.
- Hoyas prefer to be somewhat rootbound. Repotting should only be necessary once every two to three years. Soil can be replenished with fertilizer during the growing season.
- Hoya pachyclada are considered non-toxic to humans and pets, though ingesting them can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and vomiting. Best to keep these plants out of reach of children and pets.
Tula House Plants
We promise to source the most healthy, and extraordinary plant species while creatively educating you on how to best care for them at home.
Tula House Design
With an equal love for plants and design, we craft original products, photography, videos, apparel, illustrations, and educational materials to inspire people to stay curious about the natural world.
Tula House Gardens
Whether your goal is to create a healthy environment for your employees, impress customers with unique plant design, or enhance the overall atmosphere of your space, our team of designers and horticulturists will meet your needs.