Maintenance Assistant - Plants & Gardens
To apply please email your resume and cover letter with the job title in the email subject line to email@example.com
Welcome to Tula House Plants & Gardens, a botanical experience and plant shop based in Brooklyn, NY, offering a welcoming, playful and educational plant shopping experience for people who believe that - Plants Are Alive.
Who you are
You have a keen eye for detail and enjoy physical work. You love plants, taking care of plants, learning about plants and you especially love maintaining a beautiful display of plants. You are comfortable working in a small business environment and communicating feedback and ideas to your managers. You value hard work while exhibiting strong entrepreneurial skills which help you think fast and strategically. The work we do demands high energy and a positive attitude. We take pride in caring for healthy and unique plants, therefore plant care and a keen eye for detail and design is expected of all Tula House employees. If you like to feel physically and mentally accomplished at the end of your day, Tula House is a great brand to work with.
As Maintenance Assistant you are the eyes, ears and care professional for all plants living in various locations throughout the city. Some of these plants Tula House has installed, some plants we have adopted to care for. Your main job is to visit and care for all plants on a weekly basis, or according to the contracted schedule - and keep the plants happy, healthy and growing. All the while adhering to the Tula House high standard of quality, design and client service.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Weekly visits to all maintenance accounts to care for plants.
- Each and every site visit you will record the health and general state of all plants to your manager.
- Report if/when a plant is suffering with a recommendation on what to do/treatment/what to replace.
On site Maintenance responsibilities include and not limited to:
- Monitoring overall plant health; inspecting for pests, disease, chemical, malnutrition, chemical or other imbalances.
- Probe for soil moisture and watering of plants as needed.
- Fertilizer applications as needed.
- Pest Control as needed using non-toxic products and in accordance with 1PM and LEED standards, including the use of beneficial insects where appropriate.
- Disease and Fungal control as needed
- Cosmetic pruning, trimming and shaping
- Service notes upon each visit detailing work done, recommendations and refreshments ordered.
- Adjust orientation of plants/planters where necessary to account for uneven growth due to phototropism.
- Dusting plants to ensure health and appearance, washing other appropriate plant cleansers upon request.
- Thorough cleanup and removal of any plant debris and debris on plant containers.
- Exceptional client service and sensitivity to the space you are working within.
Assistant to Maintenance Lead Includes:
- Conduct quality control by assessing all plant material and ensuring proper horticultural techniques.
- Assessing aesthetics of overall plants and containers and ordering additional refreshments as needed.
- Visiting with client to ensure overall satisfaction.
- Quick response to any questions, concerns or requests from your manager.
- You should feel comfortable navigating busy spaces and must stay within an allotted time to complete your maintenance. Certain sites open and we must be finished by the time the business opens to their customers.
Additional work may include:
- Assist on executing new installations alongside Maintenance Lead and Project Manager.
- Spatial design changeover requests from existing roster of clients to manage and execute.
- Execution of replacements for contracts under Tula House guaranteed program.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be able to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- You must be comfortable working on your feet for 8 hours at a time and able to lift objects at least 30 lb in weight.
- Strong knowledge of plants and the ability to listen, multi task and problem solve
- 1-2 years retail, hospitality, or experience in a horticultural setting.
- Dedication to providing excellent, on-brand customer service.
- Is highly respectful of others and the ability to maintain a positive and empathetic attitude at all times.
- Horticulture education is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
- $18-20/hour. Salary is reviewed after initial interview to determine experience level and training requirements.
- Access to 401K.
- Career growth opportunities.
- Enjoy Tula’s employee discount on all plants and dry goods.
To apply please email your resume and cover letter with Job Title in the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Tula House
Hello and welcome to Tula House! We are a husband and wife team with a true love for space, experience and the natural world.
We launched Tula House in April of 2016 from a warehouse showroom and the original plant truck, “Tulita”. After numerous pop-ups, fairs, brand partnerships and even a summer transforming shipping containers into an unlikely shop, in November of 2018, we opened Tula House Plants & Gardens in Greenpoint. In winter 2023/2024 we will open Tula House Design & Goods.
With over twenty years of experience in design and retail, our passion lies in the transformation of spaces and the experience you have with them. This idea translates to the product curation and experience of Tula House retail as well as our design services for your home and commercial spaces.
Our love for plants and design also transcends to the way we run our business. It informs the artists and makers we work with and the ideas we bring to our gardens. We have always believed that design is For All Living Things. We work hard at maintaining a small yet mighty business, supported by an incredible team of individuals without whom we wouldn’t be able to achieve any of this. Tula House is dedicated to make your space fun and beautiful - in whatever capacity you choose.
Welcome home to Tula House. Our house is your house and we are so happy you are here.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Tula House is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Tula House makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Shop Tula's Tropical Plants
Tula House Plants
We promise to source the most healthy, and extraordinary plant species while creatively educating you on how to best care for them at home.
Tula House Design
With an equal love for plants and design, we craft original products, photography, videos, apparel, illustrations, and educational materials to inspire people to stay curious about the natural world.
Tula House Gardens
Whether your goal is to create a healthy environment for your employees, impress customers with unique plant design, or enhance the overall atmosphere of your space, our team of designers and horticulturists will meet your needs.