Botanical Name — Euphorbia resinifera
Common Name — Resin spurge or Moroccan mound
Plant Family — Euphorbiaceae
Euphorbia resinifera is a dense succulent shrub that is native to Morocco, where it is found on the slopes of the Atlas Mountainsin the surroundings of Marrakesh. These are fairly easy Euphorbia to grow in pots indoors or outdoors in mild climates. Their growth habit is clumping and will grow up to 60cm tall.
- Resin spurge plants do best in full sun, at least 5 to 8 hours a day which will help with keeping compact growth. Avoid intense afternoon sun. Grow outdoors in light shade or indoors in a sunny window with southern exposure and direct sun.
- They prefer warm temperatures between 65 - 70 ºF. Native to subtropical climates, they are tolerant of some humidity but will thrive in arid climates.
- These plants are cold hardy to 20 ºF. Plants should be moved indoors during the peak of winter.
- In late Spring and Summer, water soil thoroughly, allowing it to dry completely in between waterings. During the winter when the plant is dominant, water less frequently.
- Euphorbia resinifera grow best in a fast draining soil mix. Use cacti or succulent soil, or amend potting soil with sand or pumice up to 50% to improve drainage.
- Flowering time for E. resinifera can be from late winter to late spring. The flowers are a paler greenish yellow which are located at the center of the yellow-orange glands.
- These plants do not require fertilizer though it can be added to give container grown plants a boost or to supplement poor soil. Apply a water-soluble, balanced fertilizer monthly, diluted at half strength.
- They are easily propagated by cuttings. Remove a branch or offset, wash the cut end to remove the latex and then allow it to dry for a week or so to allow the cut end to callus before planting in soil.
- These plants are quite resistant to pests and diseases. Root rot can become a problem if the plant is overwatered and will quickly kill the plant. Plants weakened by root rot are more susceptible to common pests, so always err on the side of underwatering.
Maintenance (pruning, legginess, repotting)
- Little maintenance is required to grow these plants. Pruning is only necessary if parts of the plant are unhealthy or damaged.
- These plants have very shallow root systems, and thus do not require frequent repotting.
- All parts of the plant contain a poisonous, white latex that is extremely toxic to pets and humans if ingested and highly irritant if contacted with skin. Take great care when handling this plant and keep out of reach of children and pets.
Shop Tula's Tropical Plants
Tula House Plants
We promise to source the most healthy, and extraordinary plant species while creatively educating you on how to best care for them at home.
Tula House Design
With an equal love for plants and design, we craft original products, photography, videos, apparel, illustrations, and educational materials to inspire people to stay curious about the natural world.
Tula House Gardens
Whether your goal is to create a healthy environment for your employees, impress customers with unique plant design, or enhance the overall atmosphere of your space, our team of designers and horticulturists will meet your needs.